VIDEO: 2 Cents Project – African and Indian in Love!!

SUBSCRIBE!!————-LIKE OUR FB PAGE!! http://www.facebook.com/The2CentsMovement Twitter: @2CentsMovement e-mail: [email protected] Derron Sandy of “The 2 Cents Project” performing a spoken word piece challenging the race perceptions in Trinidad and Tobago....

Twitter: @2CentsMovement
e-mail: [email protected]

EVERY MONTH a short spoken word video production will be released that speaks to a specific social issue.

Description

___________________THE 2 CENTS PROJECT_________________

“A generation pitching in their thoughts for change”

12 months
12 poets
12 issues
12 short video productions

» Produced by THE 2 Cents Movement
previously known as the USC Debating Society then as AYI -Association of Young Intellectuals.

» Videography by Denithy
[email protected]

» Studio Recording by BeatOven Productions

MUST READ:   VIDEO: Bunji Garlin - Whine Up Your Body "2017 Release" [HD]
PoetryVideo

• Zeon Hmilton

Poetic justice! Keepin' it real

• Alex Boyd
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

I did not write the below. Account was used as thi an open mobile unit.
    Nice song though..

• Alex Boyd
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

This is total garbage. Is this man even literate enough to read and write. Forget racism I would not take to this type of person seriously for a long time until I broke away the layers of social and media entrapment and then discovered that he maybe a nice person. The problem is I may think he is a nigger because he seems to speak some kinda dialect which for tourist media oriented groups ;mediocrasy is standardized as culture especially perpetrated in the caribbean amoungst impoverished blacks.. So this in itself seems well intentioned but seriously cannot be taken as anything more than entertainment and perhaps the deepset desires of an ugly black guy in laventille lusting after some wealthy beautiful drugdealers daughter in the south….
    Really people don't we have imagination and spirit to be more an do interesting things than listen to some guy beat off to an indian chick. Like maybe developing our writing, arts and sports maybe the moon. If thats the standard of art in Trinidad seriously don't bother go and study first instead of embarrassing other trinis who do not hold these odd views being maginified by cooperate entities. By the way Trinidad is respected by its old calypsonians not noisy soca aerobics…which I have tried my very best to listen to an still dont get and realized
    Why doesn't anyone talk about the fact that any pretty girl can no longer walk the effing streets despite what race she is….because she will be harassed and even attacked….Now that to me is real…here we have a guy purporting kindness and perhaps has little.oncept of how other races here view hus attire or his language. If a man cannot expres himself how then can he carry through his inner most thoughts unto others except himself. Highlightjng vanity and a lime light which all media related intitutions relish.

• Peter Siempre Blaugrana
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

its just a video about what really goes on in Trinidad 2day… wake up > reality….. the ppl who dislike this probably are racist………. #lovethisvideo.

• AgentOrange859
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

I'm not going to criticize this video with racism sentiments or bother with any part of the video that i did not totally agree with. But this video could have been a masterpiece.That's my 2 cts worth

• Cosmos
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

I wasn't expecting to enjoy that but was amazing~!

• KarimaMohd
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

I understand the message. But it would've been a cool idea to have a spoken word dialogue between the african guy and indian girl. so both get to say their piece. yes, i understand that he was highlighting the indian girl stereotype buttt, afro-trinis come in all shapes and sizes, i can't generalize if i tried. so i cyah help but feel a little miffed at the physical stereotype he put indian girls in. Girls used to ask me if i mixed in sec school becuz i didnt fit what they considered indian.

• Petreanna Aching

This was kinda racist.

• Mingoao

Brilliant . !

• J.
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

If is one ting Trini could do is 'bad talk', regardless of ethnicity! We united in criticism! 🙂

• Dwayne Morgan
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

Spoken word artist in Toronto, coming to Trinidad for some performances, Aug 10 – 17. Let's link up [email protected]

• KamKaramel
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

Actually I think you were very successful in highlight all the areas…I have no idea why we can't have open discussions about race in this country. It saddens me….our heritage history displays variations of humiliation, discrimination and other such atrocity and yet we find in this day and age….that it makes sense to continue portraying these harmful stereotypes….clearly we have not grown from out past experiences and we have not learnt about each other enough to put it aside. Kudos!!!

• SynerTech LTD
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

Aye Derron those who get it, get it…others simply can't understand and appreciate art for what it is…this piece is a mirror to hold to your own prejudice, if you don't like what you see maybe some introspection is needed.

• Roshaunda Mc Farlene
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

All the people who think he is wrong for highlighting the stereotypes, that was the purpose of the piece he is showing what we think as a society. i loved it

• Dexter Ramcharan

Excellent

• Ven Gan
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

I like it and I'm East Indian. I dont think it was offensive or racist. He highlighted the issue nicely.

• popdiva3001
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

What was the purpose of the generalizing and stereotypical comments about Indian women in this poem? I would like to understand it's usage. I as the common reader or listener in this case of poetry did not catch anything symbolic, I mostly felt a little offended even though I'm not Indian.

• imelanin15
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

Yes but its just a reference. They attempted to outlaw racism by preventing dialogue about it. The same is possible anywhere in the world. The dialogue will counteract the ignorance.

• Jesse Brenton
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

Son, he lives in Trinidad.

• imelanin15
    9 January 2016 at 12:11 am

If not, attempts will be made to sweep it under carpet and that is where the danger lies. I think this video was designed to be thought provoking and controversial for analytical thought to occur.