From the site: “WHAT IS KONJAC?
The Konjac Potato or Konnyaku is a perennial plant native to Asia, and can be found growing wild at very high altitudes. A totally natural food source, Konjac is 97% water, rich in mineral goodness and low in calories. Naturally alkaline, Konjac is pH neutral which leaves skin perfectly balanced.
PURE AND POLLUTANT FREE
Our pure Konjac is free from chemicals, colouring, additives and irritants. 100% biodegradable and fully sustainable, this moisture rich plant fibre is mixed and handmade into our sponges with natural water filtered through volcanic rock.
USED FOR OVER 1,500 YEARS
First discovered in the Indochinese region, Konnyaku has been used in Korea, Japan and China for over 1,500 as medicine, food, a dieting aid and as a beauty product. Highly prized for its health giving properties the Konjac Sponge was originally created for delicate baby skin.
We are proud to carry the Leaping Bunny and Vegan Society symbols as signs of our commitment to producing natural, cruelty free skin care. All our sponges are made by hand and tested for authenticity and purity, unlike many inferior products often mass produced in poor quality, unethical factories, who often use poor grade and unclean materials.
Packed with minerals and antioxidants
100% free from impurities and pollutants
100% cruelty free & certified vegan
Kind to The Environment & Skin
100% Colouring Free
100% Additive Free
I got my face sponge from Pure Source Barbados for $26BDS DF. I have theBamboo Charcoal one that’s recommended for Oily and Spot Prone Skin. “Packed with mineral rich activated carbon, our Konjac Sponge with Bamboo Charcoal deep cleans skin pores to eliminate blackheads and dirt whilst absorbing excess oils and toxins. A natural antioxidant, it kills stubborn acne-causing bacteria and is an effective natural treatment for acne sufferers.
Approximately 8cm wide, it fits perfectly in the palm of your hand for easy cleansing. Just add water for the ultimate in natural skin care.
Cleanses and Exfoliates the Delicate Eye Area
Removes Water Based Make-Up
Use With or Without Cleanser
Leaves Skin Radiant & Rejuvenated
Suitable for Sensitive Skin
100% Natural, Colouring & Additive Free
Silky Soft When Wet.KEY INGREDIENT
BAMBOO CHARCOALAs bamboo is actually a grass it is extremely fast growing and a 100% sustainable resource. Naturally antibacterial and antifungal, our Bamboo Charcoal contains activated carbon and minerals which have been used for centuries to absorb toxins, remove excess oils and fight hard to reach bacteria.
Before use, rinse and hydrate your Konjac Sponge in warm water. Squeeze out any excess water, and gently cleanse skin. It is not necessary to use cleansing products, but a small amount can be added to your Konjac Sponge if desired. If a cleanser is added, the sponge will help the product work harder, and go further.
After use, always rinse your sponge well, and allow to dry in an airy place between uses. Please be careful not to wring it out as this may damage the delicate plant fibres, just squeeze between your flattened hands. You can also pop your clean sponge in the fridge to keep it fresh and cool, which helps keep your Konjac Sponge last even longer. Alternatively your sponge is happy to be aired on a heated towel rail or from a window hook. When dried it will shrink and harden, this is perfectly natural. Simply allow it to absorb water and rehydrate before using again. Never use the sponge when dry. The better care of the sponge, the longer it will last. Never leave the sponge in the shower or in a pool of water. Your Konjac Sponge is a 100% natural vegetable product and should last 2 to 3 months. Once it starts to look tired and/or breaks down, replace it. Our Konjac Sponges can be safely composted or used in the garden to help water your plants by holding moisture. The better care you take of your Konjac Sponge, the longer it will last. Never leave a child unattended with a sponge”.
Like their write up says, the sponge is rock hard when completely dry but become malleable after it has soaked up enough water. I have used it by itself and in conjunction with the Ole Henriksen African Red Tea Foaming Cleanser and the First Aid Beauty Cleanser. I recommend using gel or cream cleansers with it and not foaming ones.
Used alone I guess it gets my face clean. I guess; but I so used to washing my face with something (more?) that I don’t think it’s enough. I see how it’d be ideal for sensitive skin though…say a cleansing tool like the Clarisonic is too harsh for you.
I’m here seeing the “never leave the sponge in the shower…” part for the first time and I see why they’d say that. Since I’ve hung mine in there it’s never totally dried again :/ Now that I have used this one though I’m curious as to if the different ones really target different skin concerns. There’s:
- “100% Pure Konjac: Ideal for all the family, our bestselling 100% Pure Konjac Sponge deeply cleanses, removes blackheads and gently exfoliates the skin. The unique net like structure of the vegetable fibres helps to stimulate blood flow and promote skin cell renewal.KEY INGREDIENT100% PURE KONJACMade on the volcanic plains of UNESCO protected Jeju Island in South Korea, our pure Konjac is free from chemicals, colouring, additives and irritants. 100% biodegradable and fully sustainable, this naturally moisture rich plant fibre is alkaline to balance the acidity of skin oils and impurities.
- French Green Clay: The perfect facial sponge for combination and oily t-zone skin, our Konjac Sponge with French Green Clay tightens pores, tones the complexion and revitalises damaged skin cells. Blended with the finest French Clay this naturally draws out impurities and toxins, to reveal a smoother, fresher complexion.KEY INGREDIENTFRENCH GREEN CLAYOne of nature’s strongest antiseptics, French Green Clay has been used for centuries in the finest spas around the world. Valued for its mineral rich goodness and highly absorbent properties, French Green Clay naturally absorbs excess oils, dirt and bacteria.
- French Pink Clay: The ideal Konjac Sponge for those suffering from the weather extremes of air conditioning, excess sun exposure and central heating. Pure French Pink Clay gently purifies even the most sensitive skin and has a softening and plumping effect to improve elasticity and refresh your skin’s appearance.KEY INGREDIENTFRENCH PINK CLAYPink clay, or rose clay, is a mixture of red and white clay and is the mildest of all the French clays. Naturally mineral rich in iron oxide and silica, French Pink Clay has a softening effect on hard, rough skin and is said to improve circulation and help repair connective tissue.
- French Red Clay: Perfect for skin that needs rejuvenating and refining. Our Konjac Sponge with French Red Clay gives a deep cleanse and gentle exfoliation to brighten dull complexions and reduce the appearance of wrinkles. The ideal facial sponge for uneven skin tone, blotchiness, broken capillaries and thread veins.KEY INGREDIENTFRENCH RED CLAYFrench Red Clay is high in iron oxide which is known to stimulate blood circulation for a healthy glow. Naturally rich in trace elements, French Red Clay cleans out the skin from the layers of dead keratinized cells, and accelerates the regeneration process.
- Chamomile: The ideal Konjac Sponge for those who want to soothe angry, irritated over sensitive skin. Pure chamomile gently purifies even the most sensitive skin and has a softening and plumping effect to improve elasticity and refresh your skin’s appearance. Chamomile is good for dry, red, hot and sensitive skin and is said to have anti-allergic properties
- Green Tea: Antioxidant rich green tea has been added to this Konjac facial sponge, making it suitable for those who want the repute health benefits of green tea. Green tea extract is naturally rich in antioxidants, which has a cell-protecting function as well. It’s a strong antioxidant effect that protects the skin from the damaging effect of free radicals. Particularly suitable for those who wish to protect skin from ageing and has a softening and plumping effect to improve elasticity and refresh your skin’s appearance. Calming rich green tea is said to protect the skin, it is known to be rich in antioxidants, which may help protect the skin from the damaging effects of free radicals, actively promoting the health and longevity of collagen, improving elasticity and skin tone”.
Source: Moden Makeup